Gerontius by Stephen Wyatt
- Directed by Martin Jenkins
- BBC Radio 4 - Afternoon Play - 08.07.2010
- A Pier production for BBC Radio 4
- Won the 2010 Tinniswood Award
Destined to be the first English saint for centuries, the great theologian, poet and Catholic convert Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801-90) insisted in his will that he was to be buried in the same grave as fellow convert Fr Ambrose St John, whom he had known for over thirty years.
Written by award-winning playwright Stephen Wyatt and starring Derek Jacobi as Newman, this highly-imaginative play explores the relationship between Newman and Ambrose, the concerns aroused at the time and the controversy surrounding the recent decision to exhume their bodies.
The play also draws on some of the themes in Dream of Gerontius (music by Edward Elgar).
- Cardinal Newman.... Derek Jacobi
- Fr Ambrose St John.... Nicholas Boulton
- Fr Faber.... Geoffrey Whitehead
- Angel.... Karl Davies
- Demon.... Michael Jayston
- Reporter.... Ben Warwick
- Lecturer.... Jane Whittenshaw
The text of this play is published and is available through www.lulu.com